Hi, I’m Michael. I am primarily a Web Designer and Developer in Toronto, Ontario. I love to code and design responsive sites in HTML, PHP, CSS, JS, JQuery, Photoshop, Illustrator and Sublime Text. I am especially interested in narrative and perception as they relate to interactive design.
Over the last 20+ years, I’ve been involved in a number of diverse interactive productions. From live presentations, CD-ROM tutorials, and online corporate marketing from the earliest days of the internet to now. I’ve experienced selling a single line of products for multiple cycles, brand experience sites for service-based industries, community sites and moderation, and a large national brand with an active agile cycle and many partners and product groups to navigate and negotiate with.
Working solo, and with all sizes of teams has given me solid experience in estimating, designing and pitching projects, mentoring and managing designers and developers, and managing a site on an ongoing basis with new creative and features.
- HTML 4/5, CSS2/3, SASS, always written in text editor ( Sublime, Coda, etc. ) for fully responsive sites.
- PHP, ASP 3, MySQL & MSSQL, GIT
- Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, use of SVGs for sites.
- 3D modeling, rendering and animation. (Intimate knowledge of Strata 3D products, good knowledge of Lightwave)
- Video editing in Premiere and some After Effects.
- Flash animation & ActionScript, some print/prepress experience.
Work samples included with each entry.
Senior Front End Developer
BMO Financial Group
Jan. 2015 to Present
- Development of numerous landing pages, product pages and campaign emails.
- Overhaul of insurance quote widget originally written in Angular back into JQuery and vanilla JS.
- Negotiating with product groups and digital managers to tackle multi-department concerns, such as limiting tracking load on pages and considering business value of page speed vs. the size of development and creative.
- Pushing the design and interactivity of online campaigns to increase user engagement and capitalize on modern technologies.
During my time at BMO, I helped develop many online campaigns and mailers, drove initiatives to improve the speed and reliability of the site as a whole, pushed for governance of third party tracking, and helped outline the tech stack and development methodology for the future of bmo.com.
My favourite part of working at BMO was helping other developers push themselves to exceed their capabilities and become positive and proactive forces within BMO.
Lead Web Developer
May 2011 to Jan. 2015
- Assessing client briefs and preparing a scope of work.
- Interviewing the client or the account rep and getting a sense of the client’s needs, brand identity and visual taste.
- Designing multiple sites for presentation.
- Developing custom Wordpress themes in PHP, HTML and CSS.
- Maintaining customer sites from month to month with new creative and content.
As Lead Web Developer at GoCactus, I worked closely with clients to develop lean, responsive, content-managed sites that exemplified ease of use and exceeded the businesses expectations. As a full-stack developer, I followed projects through from client meetings, scoping and estimating, wireframing and design, back and front end development, and post-launch support and maintenance.
Design and development, working with a copywriter and a content layout assistant.Visit Stewardship Ontario's 2013 annual report Stewardship Ontario annual report gallery
Development only, working with a Senior Designer and content writer.Visit mmsk.ca Multi-Material Stewardship Western gallery
Design & development, working with a content writer and client.Visit multimaterialbc.ca Multi-Material BC gallery
Design & development, working with a content writer.Visit johnhoward.on.ca John Howard gallery
Design & development, working with the client for content.Visit medgate.com Visit hubwoo.com Visit PowerPlay Visit browndaniels.com Visit msrisk.com Visit gocactus.com Visit overlandllp.ca
Web Developer & Graphic Designer
Strata Software / Corastar Inc.
2007 to Present
- Design of product logos, splash screens, printed box/DVD art.
- Created and maintained several iterations of company website.
- Weekly marketing bulletins, banners and special offer pages.
- Created and maintained community site.
- Designed and created a Wordpress based subscription tutorial site.
Although only full-time for 4 years, I've been working on StrataCafe and with Strata's staff for over 10 years. I've done everything from compiling visitor trends on Google Analytics to demoing software on trade show floors. I had a lot more opportunity to develop myself as a "jack of all trades" during this period of my career.
Strata.com was written in ASP with an MSSQL back end. There is an extensive admin section where Strata staff can approve submitted images and movies, add bulletins, news stories, see all tryout downloads and live demo requests.StrataCafe.com page gallery
The Strata 3D University is an online video tutorial site. Wordpress was used as the site base, and the Suma plug-in was used to manage subscription payments through PayPal.Strata 3D Marketing mailer gallery
We released a mailer to an extensive mailing list every two to four weeks. I've created hundreds of mailers over the years. Below is a small selection of recent mailers.
Web Developer & Graphic Designer
Eclectic Events Intl Inc.
2005 to Present
- Several Generations of website design and development.
- Logos, business cards, postcards and stationery.
- Programs, tickets and Powerpoint shows for live events.
- Large formal vinyl dancefloors and other event assets.
The purpose of the Eclectic site is to display recent images from events, as well as collecting brochure requests and event specs for quotes. The site is written in ASP with an MSSQL database, and features a back end to add news stories, new galleries and images.
Web Designer & Developer
Science Insights Inc.
2006 to Present
I developed Science-Art from scratch with ASP and an MSSQL back end. Users have complete control over the appearance of their online gallery and profile. The admin has control over every aspect of the site. Features include the lightbox system, the search system, the multi-image contact forms, the persistent image stream and more.
2005 to 2007
At Trivedi Communications, I was responsible for regular web banners, mailers and product-specific mini-sites for several Sara Lee brands: Wonderbra, Playtex, Hanes and others. I wrote copy, edited photos and was the sole web designer and developer.
Graphic Designer & Interactive developer
1999 to 2005
- Designed and developed internal brand website for Canada Trust.
- Oversaw brand deployment and internet marketing, including the internal brand marketing website during the consolidation of TD Bank and Canada Trust.
- Designed and developed all internet marketing (banners, mailers, minisites) for Canada Trust and TD Canada Trust.
Available upon request.